Friday, February 29, 2008

Work, School, and Utopia

I've been absent from this blog for about a week now, taking an InDesign course, which is why I haven't posted. I've had this sinking feeling since I came back to work yesterday. My job's not bad in the grand scheme of jobs: I get along with my co-workers and the organization I work for has a noble mission. But I sensed there'd be a sharp contrast coming back to work after having taken a class all week. And that difference was that during the class, my mind was engaged from the time I sat down to the time I left for the day. At work, this is not the case. I experience long stretches of what feels like fatal doses of boredom. And I fear that this just might be the nature of the office job, or more frighteningly the day job.

During times like these, I consider the implications of getting my Ph. D. Mind you, I am not ready to do this. When I finished my Masters, I all but swore that academia had seen the last of me. There's an infinite amount of reasons why grad school was a very bad no good decision the first time around, including that I wasn't ready when I went, I happened to land at the worst of institutions and I had literally no clue how to deal with faceless, byzantine bureaucracies. But to me, the saddest part of grad school was not so much the feeling of not wanting to learn in an academic context (because most good students are good self-teachers), but of no longer having any desire to teach. This was the opposite of my college years in which I frolicked in daisy fields with the great thinkers of the western world at an institution whose name rhymes with 'Lard' (but this too had its ugly flip side: it was a bubble of privilege) and I thought for sure that some day I'd end up a teacher.

These two experiences left me with two very polar ideas of what school can be like, either a 40k per year utopia or a proletarian work camp for ideas. But at heart, I miss being in a place where ideas really matter. Unfortunately, I don't think the American university is the place where ideas really matter; I've come to see it more as the stock exchange of cultural capital, the place where ideas becomes things. I've done a lot of railing against theory in the past couple of years, but theory itself is not the enemy it's the use and misuse of theory that so angers me.

I don't think the academy of my dreams exists, but I do constantly think about a places like Black Mountain College, where the American avant-garde of the latter half of the twentieth century was fostered. The illustrious list of teachers included Charles Olsen, Buckminster Fuller, WCWilliams, John Cage, Willem deKooning, Robert Duncan, Josef Albers, Merce Cunningham, and the list just seems to go on and on. And it was run on almost no money. Students and teachers so wanted to take part in this utopian, interdisciplinary experiment that they slept in their cars. It's so beautiful it makes me want to cry. Can this exist under late capitalism or are we all too bogged down in credit card and student loan debt and the idea that the art world(s) is happening in big cities that cost too much to live in?

5 comments:

stevedolph said...

Happy Birthday Smarty Pants! Love, Steve and Mary

MN said...

We seem to be living in a period in which the "artist retreats" of various kinds have been integrated into the general careerist mentality that the majority of MFA programs appear to foster, with some notable exceptions. But maybe it's about time that Black Mountain or the 70's Bolinas scene got a bit more attention as a workable and valuable mode of existing art-makers. These communities undoubtedly have their perceived and actual problems--the main one that comes to mind to me is the sense that being outside of an urban landscape, with its diversity and density of humans and ideas, will cause one to lose touch with a political urgency in one's work and personal life. Poor folks don't escape to the country--not in most people's imagination, at least. But is that even true? And it's not like city dwellers can't be just as provincial and isolated. Couldn't there be a model for getting out of the city, to a place that's both cheaper and offers a different kind of space to get work done, but that has the political commitment and engagement with the local community that the quasi-utopian retreat impulse generally lacks? But I do wonder about what economic and social factors stand in the way of this. Whether the artistic zeitgeist just won't fully allow it.

MN said...

You know, I think a sentence got lost there before "Poor folks don't escape..." That's what happens when you write comments while doing hole-punching and document filing.

MN said...

No, actually it's that it's just hanging there stuck in the middle of another thought.

SPAM SPAM SPAM

l.e.i. said...

this post cuts so deep it hurts. and then layered atop that sting is the caustic coating of my suspicion that teh internets blogsphere has been laureled as the new utopic exchange. but hasn't that already come and gone too? free and untempered powwow of ideas? count me in, but these days, it's either burning man or me leaving you a comment from the confines of my cubicle.