Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What We Talk About When We Talk About Reading

Khalil Huffman's blog, Every Book Since January, on which he's been listing every book he's read since July 2006 has gotten me thinking about how many books I read a year. It's one thing to be a voracious reader, but it's another thing to document what your reading–it creates an interesting window into a person's intellectual life. It's made me start to document (in my journal), what I've been reading and the different ways that I read.

I realize that sometimes I will read the first ten to twenty pages of several books in what I call the "trial period" before I decide on any one book to invest my time in or that I very often read almost all the way to the end of a book then put it down and never finish it–Jose Donoso's The Obscene Bird of Night–why did I read you to your 570th page only to not finish you? And lately, several books have been sharing my attention equally, a book for every situation: William Gaddis' The Recognitions for home (because it's big and heavy), The Collected Books of Jack Spicer (poetry for home), Jane Jacob's The Life and Death of Great American Cities (for commuting), and Jean Day's Odes and Otium for my lunch break (although I have to admit that mostly I end up carrying the book around in my purse rather than reading it, which has more to do with my shortish attention span than the quality of the book). Sometimes I am able to get a fair amount of reading done through this method of book-to-match-situation and sometimes not so much. One thing this method robs me of is the grand sense of accomplishment derived from long stretches of complete attention to one text. At the end of the day, my reading habits don't necessarily match up to my idea of myself as Serious Reader. In some ways, I am a serious reader, an immersive one. If I'm really into a book, I can spend a whole Saturday in bed reading, only getting up to do absolutely necessary things. But the whole apparatus of work and routine and social life interfere with the quiet and stillness demanded of that kind of intensive reading.

Yet somehow through this chaos, I've managed to read a few whole books this year:

Fredrick Nyberg's A Different Practice
Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72
Bhanu Kapil's Incubation: A Space for Monsters
Roberto BolaƱo's Distant Star
Chip Delany's Dhalgren
Julio Cortazar's The Diary of Andres Fava
Javier Cercas' The Soldiers of Salamis
Raymond Carver's What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
Jack Spicer's The Collected Books


'Every Book Since January' has also made me wonder what other people have been reading since January. So, what have you read?

9 comments:

randajan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
randajan said...

Whole books I've read have been mostly for school, sadly... I've dipped into various single chapters of dozens more (alas, also for school).
Here are some of the complete (mostly ethnographies) that I read:
Bourdieu, Outline of a theory of practice
Edmund R. Leach, Political Systems of Highland Burma
E. E. Evans-Pritchard, The Nuer: a Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
Max Gluckman, Custom and Conflict in Africa
Roy Rappaport, Pigs for the Ancestors: Ritual in the Ecology of a New Guinea People
Chakrabarty, Provincializing Europe
Latour, We have never been modern
Louis Menand, The Metaphysical Club
Julia Elyachar, Markets of Dispossession
Sunder-rajan, biocapital

Many of these are really strange works of ANTHROPOLOGY with a capital UH... but I have to say that there is something vaguely pleasurable about reading Roy Rappaports crosslisted graphs of pig feasting seasons and corresponding nutritional analysis. Most of that stuff was from my 2nd quarter 'history of anthro' class that I have to take.

i was also compelled to read bits of everything in the style of a certain economy of modern academia..fragmented bits of Gramsci, Marx, Weber, Freud, Talal Asad, Stuart Hall, all manner of Foucault. These are the things that I'd rather talk about.

I hate to admit it, but all I feel like reading is a fluffy book by Haruki Murakami. Is that bad?

Actually I picked up but did not finish 'city of quartz' by mike davis which I LOVED so far... really one of the best histories of LA I've ever read.

Laura J said...

Randajan,

Your post reminds me of something which I was going to include in my original post but didn't: basically, that school introduced me to a lot of wonderful texts, but in a funny way, school also stunted my reading habits. I was always reading some theoretiocal text of the order of Bordieu but then I'd get so drained by that that I couldn't pay enough attention to read a whole novel or book of poems.

Laura J said...

Randajan being of course Joj, duh, Laura.

randajan said...

it's amazing...i am so refreshed an rejuvenated by a good novel... in a way that theory can NEVER inspire me...

HAIR hearts FLIP said...

Hi Laura!
will visit u here from now on..

heart,
feliz

p.s.
Last Evenings On Earth, Bolano.
Curves to the Apple, Rosmarie Waldrop.
& the ones that keep recycling themselves to death.

Jennifer Manzano said...

Laura,
I've been thinking about this too, mostly realizing that my reading lately has taken a backseat to other things, sometimes to writing, but often to sleeping or breathing. At times I've been really diligent about keeping logs of these things, but being only 4 months into the year and not having kept track, I bet it's something that I could somewhat accurately catch up on. Maybe I'll post a recent reading list in the next few days, if I can get my act together.
Thanks for the motivation,
Jenn

Laura J said...

yay for feliz visits!

also, omg, isn't 'last evenings on earth' amazing?

mildred pierce said...

hi laura!
i love hearing what people are reading. thanks for posting your list and opening it up for a convo. i just saw steve and mary in LA and got a bookstore tour of the city, talking books the whole time. delish!
i'm a third of the way through Lost Girls, the erotic graphic novel by Alan Moore and Melinda Grebble (?)
have read a bunch of shit for my contemporary avant-garde class, including Cris Mazza's Disability, which i LOVED. and a ton of marxist and postcolonial theory which can be draining as has been said already on this thread. but good to get Said, Fanon, and Raymond Williams under my belt finally, among other more contemporary texts.
also still working through the new michelle tea antho It's So You; Grace Paley's collected; and Ryan Eckes's new chapbook which is ASTOUNDINGLY good.
bolano, dodie bellamy, and ishmael reed are next up for me.