Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Conundrum Wrapped in a Riddle


Friday night I was reading and article about Kenny Goldsmith in Bookforum and I came across the following:

Goldsmith’s current reading is focused on his work in progress, a rewriting of Benjamin’s The Arcades Project for twentieth-century New York. The parallels abound—he’s using Robert Moses for Haussmann and Robert Mapplethorpe for Baudelaire.

Three years ago, I wrote a long poem titled B using The Arcades Project, which draws parallels between turn of the 21st century New York and 19th Century Paris. I sent the manuscript out to a few presses and never got a response; I am young and wrote this poem when I was even younger, before I went to Temple, even. It's hard to get a press that doesn't know you to take a chance on a long manuscript by an unknown young poet. So it's been sitting in my apartment, many of my friends have read it, some have not. I thought, "Well, maybe someone'll publish it when I'm older or something....." (cue sinking feeling). But this Goldsmith thing is really upsetting, not because I anticipate great similarities between the end results of our work (we are vastly different poets with vastly different projects), but because it royally sucks to get retroactively scooped by someone older and more famous than you. I just feel like no one would take a chance on publishing B once this (sort of) famous guy publishes his.

Enter Brandon's argument: publish that shit yourself! Enter my money preoccupations: I can't afford it! But can I afford to let this work go permanently unread? I turn the question over to you dear reader: what should be done? Does it even matter if I get scooped?

2 comments:

Andrea Lawlor said...

Publish it yourself! In fact, publish it on the web and scoop Kenny G!

alex said...

Is this a crazy suggestion?:

Send it to Goldmsith