Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I've been loving you too long (and I don't wanna stop now)



Dear Barack,

It's seems like it's been years since Iowa when in truth it's barely been a month. Me and so many other people I knew held our breaths at around 9 pm when it was certain that you'd won that icy white state. Since Iowa though, there's been New Hampshire and Las Vegas, there's been Bill and Hillary, there's been dirty tricks and playing nice. I am worn from all of this and cursing every morning reading the news.....

I believe in your goodness, Barack in your gentle, almost equine face, as do many others, but you've gotta give us something more to hold onto than the bland centrist democratic stance that's slowly emerging from under your slogan of 'CHANGE.' Don't make the same mistake that so many other would-be Democratic reformers do of shrinking from the radical and transformative practice of truth. I know right now you're between a rock and hard place, the race card and the Clinton acrimony, but now is the time to really tell us HOW you will change this country. You know the Law and you know Language so please use it.

Or perhaps I overestimate you because I need to believe that we can transcend our sordid histories, that we can put eloquence and intellect in our seats of power, rather than crassness and arrogance. I need to believe that I might live in a better country than the one I think I live in.

Sincerely,

Laura

No comments: